Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Out of the Darkness into the Light Part 3

Part 3
Out of the Darkness into the Light
Dr. Alan N. Keiran

Call to Ministry

After our marriage and a move to Amherst, MA for me to complete my senior year of college, we joined First Baptist Church there. Rev. Dr. Jagger was our spiritual mentor and father in the faith for almost a year. In my first semester of my senior year I was sitting in our living reading the Bible and I heard in my mind the words. “You are going to be a Navy Chaplain.”  I knew it was God and said, “But God I don’t like (Navy) officers. But Okay if that’s what you want.” In February of my senior year I was interviewed by my denomination’s endorsing Rev. Jack Barker, and approved for military service.
Seminary

I matriculated at Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary in the fall of 1976 an economics graduate among many Bible School Graduates. There I was challenged and stretched as a student, part time youth worker, husband, father and Navy Chaplain Candidate. It was the best and worst of times considering that I rarely rested enough and didn’t feel ready to be a pastor.

Naval Chaplain School, Newport, RI


After my second year of seminary Sally and I packed our yellow Volkswagon beetle and headed for NTC Newport. During that time I was initiated into a culture of very bright, patriotic and God loving men and women who love our nation and its history in peace and war. Eight weeks of early morning exercise and 3 mile runs were almost daily duties prior to our eight hours of weekday instruction on ministry to Sailors, Marines and Coast Guard men and women. I absolutely loved that sometimes grueling exercise and always friendly conversations with peers.  After graduation we drove back to Seminary for my final years of theological training.

No comments:

Post a Comment