Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Part 4. My Call to Ministry


After our marriage and a move to Amherst, MA for me to complete my senior year of college, we joined First Baptist Church there. Rev. Dr. Jagger was our spiritual mentor and father in the faith for almost a year. In my first semester of my senior year I was sitting in our living reading the Bible and I heard in my mind the words. “You are going to be a Navy Chaplain.”  I knew it was God and said, “But God I don’t like (Navy) officers. But, Okay, if that’s what you want.” In February of my senior year I was interviewed by my denomination’s endorsing Rev. Jack Barker, and approved for military service.
Seminary

I matriculated at Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary in the fall of 1976 an economics graduate among many Bible School Graduates. There I was challenged and stretched as a student, part time youth worker, husband, father and Navy Chaplain Candidate. It was the best and worst of times considering that I rarely rested enough and didn’t feel ready to be a pastor.

Naval Chaplain School, Newport, RI

After my second year of seminary, Sally and I packed our yellow VolksWagon beetle and headed for N.T.C. Newport, RI. During that time I was initiated into a culture of very bright, patriotic and God loving men and women who love our nation and its history in peace and war. Eight weeks of early morning exercise and 3 mile runs were almost daily duties prior to our eight hours of weekday instruction on ministry to Sailors, Marines and Coast Guard men and women. I absolutely loved that sometimes grueling exercise and always friendly conversations with peers.  After graduation we drove back to Seminary for my final years of theological training.

Don’t Anger God

In early January 1976 I was severely chastised by the Lord. I was way overloaded in my commitments. I had only one day of partial rest amid all the expectations and commitments I was involved in. It was a Monday night. I was looking forward to watching a football game after a six hours of studying Hebrew, four hours in the bookstore I was managing for the seminary, and little sleep…It was my time to relax…At least that is what I thought!

My wife was not feeling well that night and our 3-month old daughter was fussing. I felt a rush of anger fill me when Sally asked me to help her with some little thing…I was livid! But not for long…..

The next voice I heard was the angry voice of God! I felt his anger…He said, “Turn off you TV and don’t watch for a year!” I immediately took our suitcases out of our little storage closet and packed away the TV….for a year! No kidding!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment